The total number of injured admitted to Moroccan hospitals in the wake of the devastating September 8 earthquake reached 13,919 as of Monday, the Ministry of Health has said.
In a post on its official Facebook page, the ministry detailed that 1,077 of the injured who were hospitalized after the earthquake were seriously injured, while 4,551 were slightly injured.
The post went on to say that 435 people are currently being treated in hospitals, including 61 in intensive care, and 12,674 have already recovered.
The ministry added that all necessary resources have been mobilized to provide medical assistance to the earthquake victims, including medical, technical, and administrative human resources, medicines, medical equipment, ambulances, and mobile medical units.
The earthquake, which struck central Morocco on September 8, left a trail of destruction and claimed nearly 3,000 lives.
In addition to human casualties, the earthquake caused significant property damage and left hundreds without shelter. Shocking reports indicate that whole communities were flattened, with multiple villages in the Al Haouz region reduced to rubble.
In the wake of the tragedy, Morocco has stepped up its efforts to house earthquake victims, with King Mohammed VI announcing a financial support package for families affected by the earthquake.
On Monday, the Ministry of Education announced that the focus would be on getting children back to school. The ministry said that a total of 530 educational institutions and 55 boarding schools were damaged to varying degrees, mostly in the provinces of Al Haouz, Chichaoua, and Taroudant.
A ministry official said that equipped tents had been set up at the junior high school level, in areas where classrooms were severely damaged by the earthquake.