At the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards on Tuesday, which happened at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, the Nigerian singer who attended the show emerged as one of the winners of the night.
Rema featured Gomez on the hit record ‘Calm Down‘ which has since been amassed over a billion streams according to Spotify records.
Receiving the award, Rema thanked Afrobeats forefathers Fela, 2Baba, and Dbanj amongst a few others for their impact on his music career.
The official music video which was released on 11 February 2022, currently has over 526,611,180 views on video streaming platform Youtube.
This becomes a historic moment for Rema as his win makes him the first Arobeats artiste to grab a VMAs plaque. This is the first time the Best Afrobeats Song category has been introduced to the awards scheme.
“One thing I will not forget to do tonight is forget to shout out to the people who opened doors for me.”
“Big shout out to Fela who started Afrobteas, to 2baba, Dbanj, Don Jazzy, D’Prince, Burna Boy, Wizkid, Timaya, Runtown, Davido and a big shout out to the new generation of Afrobeats, we are here to take it to the world,” the Calm Down hitmaker said.
Selena Gomez said: “Thank you Rema for believing in me and thank you for choosing me to be a part of such an incredible song that’s been able to break records.”
“Thank you to all of you for streaming and I want to send all my love to Nigeria. Thank you.”
The Nominees in the category were:
- Ayra Starr – “Rush” – Mavin Global Holdings
- Burna Boy – “It’s Plenty” – Atlantic Records / Spaceship Entertainment Ltd
- Davido ft. Musa Keys – “UNAVAILABLE” – Sony Music U.K. / RCA Records
- Fireboy DML & Asake – ”Bandana” – Empire Distribution
- Libianca – “People” – Sony Music U.K. / RCA Records
- Winner: Rema & Selena Gomez – “Calm Down” – Mavin Global Holdings Ltd / Jonzing World Entertainment / SMG Music / Interscope Records
- Wizkid ft Ayra Starr– “2 Sugar” – Starboy / RCA Records