King Mohammed VI has assigned the presidency of the committee in charge of Morocco’s bid to host the 2030 World Cup to Fouzi Lekjaa, the head of Morocco’s Football Federation (FRMF).
The Moroccan royal cabinet announced the news, stressing that this is within the framework of the joint Morocco-Spain Portugal bid.
Morocco officially announced its decision to join the European bid on March 14.
King Mohammed VI announced Morocco’s decision through a speech read by Minister of Sports Chakib Benmoussa during the CAF President Outstanding Achievement Awards Ceremony in Kigali, Rwanda.
“This joint bid, which is unprecedented in football history, will bring together Africa and Europe, the northern and southern Mediterranean, and the African, Arab and Euro-Mediterranean worlds,” the King said.
Many have since expressed support for Morocco’s bid, including the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
President of European football’s governing body UEFA, Aleksander Ceferin, also expressed support for Morocco’s joint bid.
“I think it’s a good idea,” he said on the heels of a UEFA Congress, noting that “it makes sense to join with Morocco. Morocco is very, very close to Spain and to Portugal.” Portugal and Spain also expressed support for the joint bid, describing it as a positive” message to the world.
Morocco had previously attempted to host the global tournament, but it lost its bid to host the 2026 World Cup to the joint candidacy of the US, Mexico, and Canada in 2018.
The North America bid received 134 votes against 65 votes for Morocco.